Sound Horizon and Linked Horizon are the productions of the artist Revo, with him being the only permanent member. This board is for related discussions from fans.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki

View previous topic View next topic Go down
AuthorMessage
Thanako

Chancellor

Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Empty
Thanako

PostSubject: Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 12:34 am#1

I've actually just finished my part translation, and part interpretation of Sho no Sasayaki over here and it inspired me to write a discussion about the potential, though subtle implications made. If any at all.

We learn in the first Chronicle from the staff introductions that Noah is credited as the immortal magician who authored the Black Chronicle. What's really interesting is that Noah faintly sings along to the background chorus. Is this significant, to you? What about the ending, with the shattering glass? Perhaps it's a mirror?

Who do you think the story is about? While I have my own ideas, I'd love to hear yours beforehand.
Back to top Go down
https://strophe-horizon.rpg-board.net
Layla

Layla

PostSubject: Re: Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 1:38 am#2

I don't know a whole lot about Chronicle (there are scant few accessible translations out there, which forces me to rely on my own meager skill with the language), but I was thinking the metronome that plays in the background might be the ticking of a clock. Maybe the glass that shatters at the end is the clock being broken?
Back to top Go down
http://osoreyo.tumblr.com
Thanako

Chancellor

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 1:41 am#3

That's actually a fascinating idea! I also appreciate the usage of a church organ, something also seen later with Meiou.
Back to top Go down
Alchea

Alchea

PostSubject: Re: Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 am#4

After reading Majutsushi (the web era song confirmed in those staff introductions to be Noah's background), I can say that it is surprising how nicely Sho no Sasayaki's tale fits with it. Almost perfectly, more so given how Majutsushi points at Noah's intolerance to Loss. At the end, like Majutsushi says, the Eternity he got was destruction anyway.

He never truly escaped.

It is also insinuated something that I already knew (but confirmation is always good): that the book is what makes the main SH cycle, the one that function over all others, work in the first place and that the Girl Doll in the first Chronicle probably remembered everything from a past loop (from where her powers of future reading really stem from).

There are more, but with these musings should be enough... I still have to reach Chronicle 2nd in my reread after all.
Back to top Go down
Thanako

Chancellor

Thanako

PostSubject: Re: Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 2:35 pm#5

That would truly imply the girl doll can only see what may be, not what is absolute. A very interesting take on it. Only the Chronicle itself is painted as absolute in Sound Horizon, interestingly enough.

I find the developments of Noah to be very, very interesting. It also seems interesting that he may be trying to speak for Chronica, my interpretation of him faintly interrupting her chorus. He definitely has a lot of issues, but he's surely got some plans of his own. It's very interesting to see Chronica ask for the listener's interpretation of the book, too.

Noah also asks this to Lucia, full of himself that he has everything figured out. The implications don't quite add up, which only further add to the table points of valid discussion. What do you think is Noah's understanding? And what's your understanding?
Back to top Go down
Ghostie

Ghostie

PostSubject: Re: Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 pm#6

I also believe that Noah could be the magician referred to in Mahoutsukai Sarabanto, mostly because of the Majutsushi link as well. Majutsushi establishes the "forbidden, immortal magician" as someone who is greedy and wishes for an eternity of destruction, as well as someone who gets caught up with "forbidden things" (like being the ringleader of a cult, for one). Mahoutsukai Sarabanto implies that the magician is struck with the loss of a loved one and could very well be trying to revive her from the dead.

I like to think that Noah's initial intentions were to revive his lost loved one. I think he is manipulating the powers of Chronica (who he freed from a lamp, as described in Mahoutsukai Sarabanto, and then "wrote" the Black Chronicle by making the book out of her using his...erm...magician powers. This perfectly fits with the idea of being liberated from one fate and then entrapped in another. This is loosely combining the pieces of evidence we have, that Noah wrote the Black Chronicle and that the magician freed a girl with long black hair from the lamp) for his own wishes. I think the motivation behind his cycles could be the wish to revive, or "look for" his loved one--it's likely that he is stuck with this obsession, manipulating Chronica's powers to cycle over and over and loses sight of his original intention.

I'm not sure if he retains his memories. I agree absolutely with what Alche said about memories of previous cycles being stored into Shoujo Ningyou--it makes a lot of sense that this is what gives the doll power to see the future, as perhaps the main theme of the 1st Horizon is indeed that history is doomed to repeat itself. Therefore, having records of history and past cycles would, by definition, give you the power to see the future as if it were recorded already!

So, in summary, I think Noah doesn't understand his own creation at all. He likely embarked on this entire journey because of his forbidden desire (to bring back the dead), lost sight of it completely due to his greed, and is kind of in an eternal loop of destruction himself. It fits very well and supplies Chronicle with a perfect irony that Noah is characterized like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki EmptySong Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Empty

PostSubject: Re: Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki Empty#7

Back to top Go down

Song Discussion: Sho no Sasayaki

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1